And what a better way to enjoy the weekend, than to have a little get together with a few of your favorite ghouls?! You all know I love to host spooktacular dinner parties, and macabre movie nights.... so how about something different? Let's try a Frightful Family Game Night!
Think easy snacks like Yummy Mummy Wraps and some cheesy Goblin Grub to munch on. Remember, the easier, the better!
Let's start off with getting out the old board games..... Clue is a must, Scary Scrabble, (the same but only with Halloween theme words) and even a kid-friendly fortune telling card game is always good for a few shrieks and howls!
And if it's a rainy, chilly night in your neck of the woods..... turn off all the lights and an inside game of Flashlight Tag is a blast! This was a slumber-party-must when I was a kid! But if not.... and you and the kiddos want to venture out into the darkness... I say wrap up the evening with a few rounds of "Ghost in the Graveyard!"
What???? You don't remember how to play Ghost in the Graveyard???? Well, here are a few easy instructions:
- Designate one house's yard or another area in the neighborhood for the playing field. You will need a home base on which everyone can stand or all touch at the same time such as a large tree, front stoop, or back patio.
- Choose one person to be the "ghost". You can do this any way you like: picking a number, rock, paper, scissors, etc....
- Have everyone but the ghost stand at the home base while the ghost runs off to hide somewhere outside.
- Chant slowly as a group, "One o'clock... two o'clock... three o'clock..." and so on, up to twelve o'clock. Then shout, "Midnight! I hope I don't see the ghost tonight!"
- Leave the home base and search for the ghost in the yard. The ghost's job is to jump out, surprise, and tag a player. When anyone encounters the ghost they should yell, "Ghost in the graveyard!" and try to run away. When the ghost catches someone, the new person becomes the only ghost. This makes it less scary for young ones, who don't like to venture very far away from the home base.
- Have all the people who were caught go and hide with (or close to) the original ghost. The people on the home base start again with the chant, "One o'clock... two o'clock..."
- Continue the game like this until everyone is caught. The last person caught becomes the ghost for the next round.
And then back inside for a warm mug of hot chocolate with monster marshmallows! And for more spooky-fun recipes, check out some of my Devilish Delights!
Happy Friday to all my Ghoul-friends!