Monday, May 17, 2010

DIRTY FUN

This is one of my latest projects, and I love it because you get messy and can be very creative (you can feel like a sculptor.....when you're really not!) at the same time. I really like this Marblex Clay. And I've been making some really cool stuff, like fancy potion bottles.

It not as difficult as it looks. Just take a wine bottle (If you're like me, you have lots of these around the house) and start adding a few clumps of the clay over the bottle, smoothing it out as you go. Be sure to make it thicker in some spots to give it a wavy texture. I found that keeping a bowl of water handy and dipping each piece (about the size of a golf ball) in the water, just enough to work with it, really makes a difference if you're attaching the clay to another surface.

Go over the entire bottle two or three times to give it the desired effect you're after. To make the bottle stopper, just take a piece of clay, roll it into a ball with your palm, and mold it into an oval shape. Place it on top of the bottle. Use the same technique to make the label, just press it flat, and use a tooth pick to carve the name into the clay. Then wet the back of the label and place it where you want it on the bottle.

Be sure to let it dry thoroughly. You'll notice some cracking in spots, but that's what you want it to do. This is where you'll start painting it. I took two medium paint brushes, and dabbed alternating red and black glossy acrylic craft paint. (Do about a half dollar size area at a time) I went over the entire bottle several times, until I got it the color and pattern that I wanted.

Then once you're happy with the color, and it's completely dried, (I let it set for 24 hours) then I sprayed it with several coats (let dry about an hour in between coats) of clear sealer. Again, let it dry for 24 hours. Look how crafty you are!